The Best Cheesecake on Earth

Let’s just get one thing straight: I KNOW cheesecake.
I have eaten Coeur de Creme in France, ricotta cheesecake in Italy and Oreo cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory. I have had frozen cheesecake bites, cheesecake lollipops and cheesecake-flavored cream cheese spread.
Let’s just say that I have eaten my fair share of cheesecake. Just ask my ever-expanding hips for proof.
But never, EVER have I had a cheesecake as mouth-droppingly delicious as my Marmie’s cheesecake.
It’s so good, it’s just…nuts! (No, really…the crust is entirely made of sugar, butter, and nuts)
The Best Cheesecake on Earth:
1 lb. mixed nuts
1.5 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. melted butter
4 blocks softened cream cheese
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
6 eggs
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. vanilla or to taste
Special equipment:
1. Take the nuts – I like a mixture of pecans, walnuts and almonds – and blitz them in the food processor until it is pebbly and ground but not super fine like pepper.
That’s about right. You still want some bigger chunks in there. Don’t worry if you overgrind it, it just will have a finer, more crumbly texture than a denser, cookie like texture.
2. Now preheat your oven to 325F.
3. Now add one cup of sugar.
4. Time to tinfoil your springform pan. This makes cleanup a breeze and prevents any possible batter dripping.
5. Now, put the nut mixture into the pan and dribble the melted butter into the pan. Mix the butter around to make the whole nut mixture moistened. Feel free to use more if your nuts absorb the butter too quickly.
6. Now it’s time for the CAKE part! Toss the cream cheese into your stand mixer (or bowl, so you can mix it with your handheld mixer).
7. Now start to whip the cheese, and as you do, pour in the sweetened condensed milk.
8. Keep mixing, and toss the eggs and the lemon juice.
9. Add the vanilla and the sugar. Beat the mixture till everything is incorporated.
10. Now pour it into the prepared pan, put it in a modified bain marie *just a large roasting pan filled up with some water* and let it cook in the oven for about 80 minutes, checking it every 10 minutes after the first 50 minutes. You want the cake to be firm but NOT stiff. It can still jiggle a little in the middle when you shake it. And don’t cook it so long it gets cracked – that means it’s overcooked. Then, let chill for at least two hours or overnight.
11. Serve.
This cheesecake is dense, creamy, vanilla-y joy. It isn’t sugary, tooth-achingly sweet, but tastes clean and gently sweet, like fresh cream. It is not airy or artificially sweet like lesser cheesecakes are. It is good with some raspberry jam spread on top, but even better on its own. On top of those buttery, rich nuts, the thick and rich cheesecake topping is simultaneously dessert and breakfast. I mean, that’s how I eat it. And that’s how you will too. I guarantee you that if you try this cheeescake, you will NEVER make it another way again.
And, remember…I know my cheesecake.

1. I wanted to eat that SO badly. Ask Marmie to create a nut-free crust recipe for me to attempt to cook! xoxo your tree nut allergy friend

2. susan obrien says:

I am confused. You say preheat the oven to 325 but when do you actually put the cheesecake in the oven if you cook it in a bain marie for 80 minutes on the stove top? Also, how high do you keep the flame under the pot on the stove? Do you just keep the water simmering?

• fritosfg says:

@susan obrien – I should have made the instructions more clear – my apologies! You actually put the cake into a large roasting pan filled about 1/3 of the way with water, then put the entire thing into the oven for 80 minutes. The water warms in the oven and prevents the cake from cracking.

3. Barbara says:

I’m confused…lol. I understand how the cheesecake is put together but am I to understand that you put the prepared cheesecake into another pan/metal bowl that’s fill with water then cook it on top of the stove? If that’s correct, how high is the flame? Doesn’t the water boil out?

• fritosfg says:

Hi Barbara – I should have made the instructions more clear – I’m sorry! You put the cheesecake into a modified bain marie – a roasting pan filled about 1/3 of the way with water. Then, put the entire thing into the oven. The water gently warms and cooks the cheesecake over a modified heat source to prevent it from cracking or overcooking.

4. I’m confused… Do you put the foil inside the pan, if so how do you get the cake out to transfer to a serving dish?

• fritosfg says:

Claudette – I always use a spatula to loosen it from the tinfoil, though you could easily cut around the cake to make the tinfoil just a circle beneath the crust. Just make sure not to eat any foil! :)

5. Carolyn says:

Hi, I just made this recipe yesterday, and it came out perfect! I brought it to a dinner party, and everyone loved it.

Two things:
    1) I subbed 1/2 cup brown sugar for the white in the crust. (my mixture was pecans, cashews and walnuts) Really good!
    2) What size pan are you using? I used a normal 9″ springform, and ended up with about 3-4 cups EXTRA batter. Also, it took about 1 hour 45 min to bake, seemed longer than 80 min.

• fritosfg says:

Hi Carolyn,
      So glad that everyone enjoyed!!
      1) That sounds even better!! I will try that next time!
      2) I used a larger springform pan – 12″. Also, it will definitely depend on the size and brand of your oven. A smaller or more crowded oven may result in more cooking time.

• Carolyn says:

Ah ha! I suspected you might be using a larger pan. I think I’ll cut the recipe down by 1/4 next time.