Brick wrapped in foil
1) Slice the lemons very thinly and preheat the oven to 350 F (invest in a cheap box of medical gloves to wear while preparing chicken – it really cuts down on the possibility of cross contamination).
2) Layer the shallots, half the herbs, and lemons in the roasting pan and pour 1/4 cup of olive oil over the veggies and put the pan in the oven.
3) Combine the butter, the rest of the herbs, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mash it around so you create a compound butter. This is the seasoning for your chicken.
4) Pour some olive oil in a frying pan on high heat, and when the oil starts to move and shimmer, throw a piece of chicken in there.
5) Lay the brick on top of the chicken. You may need to make sure the brick is touching a side of the pan so it doesn’t slide off the chicken. The chicken will sizzle and oil will splatter (this is the messy part). You are just searing the chicken to get crispy skin – the inside will still be raw when you remove it from the pan, so a high heat is necessary.
6) When the chicken looks like this, or after about 5 minutes, remove it from the pan
and put it on a plate.
7) When all the chicken has been seared, put it in the hot roasting pan from the oven and evenly distribute the herb butter over all the pieces of the chicken. Then put the pan back in the oven.
8) After about an hour, or when the thickest piece of dark meat chicken has juices that run clear, remove the chicken and serve.