It’s months like these that make me proud to be an American.
That’s because April is Grilled Cheese Month! Give me grilled cheese or give me death—that’s how the saying goes, right?
Well, Land O’Lakes has teamed up with Kitchen PLAY to celebrate grilled cheese.
Also, through the end of April, Land O’Lakes will donate $1 to Feeding America every time someone pins or repins a Land O’Lakes recipe on Pinterest. Just head to www.landolakes.com to find your favorite recipes, pin them, and start giving back.
And, with recipes like the one below, you are going to be pinning like crazy.
Grilled cheese is one of my favorite foods because there are so many ways to dress it up. It can be elegant or trashy and it is always just what I feel like. Even for breakfast.
You know, that time when grilled cheese isn’t usually served.
The important things here are very thinly sliced cheese, so it melts evenly, and getting the fried egg right. Nothing is more disappointing than an overdone egg, and nothing is more delightful than a gooey egg yolk.
Except, perhaps, a gooey egg yolk atop a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
Maple and Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
3 oz. Land O Lakes® Deli American Cheese
2 slices bacon, diced
2 slices sandwich bread
1 tbsp. butter
1 dash chili seasoning (cayenne, pepper, salt, and garlic powder)
1 tsp. maple syrup
1. Put the bacon in a dry, hot skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 12 minutes, or until the bacon is very crispy. Take out of the pan and drain on a paper towel but keep the bacon grease in the pan and the pan hot.
2. Put both bread slices in the hot pan. After 1 minute, or when they are toasted, take one out of the skillet. Turn the other one and add the cheese.
3. Top with the bacon.
4. Cover the whole thing with a lid, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 3 minutes, or until it the cheese is melted. When it is totally gooey, remove the cheesy bread and set it aside. Do NOT top with the other slice of bread.
5. Melt the butter in another skillet over medium heat…
6. And fry your egg. You want the whites JUST set and the yolk still runny.
7. Put the egg onto the sandwich
8. Drizzle on the maple syrup and add the chili seasoning.
This is everything breakfast should be— hearty, filled with healthy fats and protein, and just a little bit indulgent. Unlike traditional grilled cheese, which must be flipped, this can be made by somewhat clumsier chefs (my middle name isn’t exactly Grace). The egg, along with the cheese, acts as an adherent for both pieces of bread. The bacon is evenly distributed and the maple syrup adds a wonderful sweet taste to an otherwise savory meal. The crowning touch is, of course, the cheese. Tangy, soft, perfectly melted. It’s everything an ideal grilled cheese sandwich is.
So go pin this on Pinterest. And while you are at it, check out some of the other fabulous grilled cheese sandwiches participating in this program by clicking on the graphic below! Not only are you helping a good cause…you are gonna have a great breakfast tomorrow, too.
*Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Land O’Lakes as part of the Kitchen Sidecar series. All opinions given are my own.