This is a sweatpants-appropriate recipe.
It’s not classy. It’s not dinner party-appropriate. Hell, it’s not even fresh – it came about when my fiance was hangry* one day around 3 pm. I threw some stuff together, served it to him, and then asked for a taste…and it was good. Real good.
So, here it is. Just dig around your fridge and pull out the leftovers and make this rather tasty, embarrassingly trashy dish.
Meatloaf and Mashed Potato Quesadilla
leftover meatloaf (the really good, glaze-y kind)
1 onion, diced and caramelized
1/4 cup mashed potatoes (yeah, we used purple ones)
Handful of shredded cheddar cheese (maybe 1/4-1/3 cup)
1. Put the tortilla in a nonstick pan over medium/high heat.
2. Add about 1/3 of your cheese.
3. Add the meatloaf, the onions, and…
the mashed potatoes. Add all of the ingredients to the center area of the quesadilla, because when you add the top tortilla, the toppings will spread and you don’t want them to fall out of the sides of the quesadilla.
4. Top with the rest of the cheese and the other tortilla. When you top with the second tortilla, push down hard with your fingertips. You want to mash the meatloaf and the potatoes and also tho help the melty cheese glue the tortillas together.
6. Serve (on a paper plate of course…toldja this was dirty food).
This is a handheld guilty pleasure. It’s crispy, cheesy, and melty. It’s meaty, soft, and has buttery mashed potatoes. The meatloaf is even better than regular chorizo or ground beef because it’s extra soft, thanks to its breadcrumbs. The quesadilla gets its flavor from the spicy/sweet ketchup glaze that melts in the heat of the pan, and also the sharp, salty cheese. You can top this with sriracha or bbq sauce, but you don’t need to. This is everything that you need.
Oh, and you need sweatpants.
There…now you have everything that you need.
*Hangry: so hungry that you get angry. You know exactly what I’m talking about.