10 Reasons that Offal is Awesome
1) It’s fun to win $5 by your friends by eating some ox or beef heart on a bet.
2) People like Dan Barber are making the ever controversial foie gras more humane and approachable than ever.
3) WWAZD (What Would Andrew Zimmern Do?)
4) Chicken livers can be down home and fried or uptown and truffled – it’s the ultimate people pleaser.
5) That bag of giblets isn’t just there to weight down your Thanksgiving turkey. Sautee them with butter and then stew them with red wine and seasonings for the best gravy you ever ate.
6) Nothing goes better with jelly than peanut butter. Unless you are talking about fig jelly and duck liver pate. Then, oh yeah, THAT goes better with jelly.
7) Playing tricks on your friends has never been more delicious. Just tell Nate that the chopped liver is tapenade, then videotape his response when you tell him what it is and put that reaction on YouTube.
8) How else can you spend $7 at the butcher’s counter and end up with something like this?
9) If you’re going to get something stuffed inside a burger, it might as well be the most delicious meat on the face of the planet.
10) Eating “chitlins”gives you street cred.