I took my cue from this off of one of those stupid commercials where the family all plays football together in the picture perfect backyard, falls into a pile of leaves, then scampers off to the gleaming kitchen for a quick meal that mom whips up while wearing size 2 jeans and smiling the entire time.
Needless to say, we are not that family.
We are a family who has frozen chicken burgers in the freezer, a jar of bbq sauce in the pantry, and a can of crescent rolls in the fridge.
Don’t worry, I promise that I served a salad and some roasted carrots alongside.
BBQ Chicken and Cheese Crescent Rolls
1 package crescent rolls
1/2 lb. of ground chicken burgers (if you just have ground chicken, add some chopped onions, herbs, salt, and pepper to the mix)
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 tbsp – 1/4 cup bbq sauce
hot sauce to taste
1. Sautee the chicken until it is totally cooked. Add the cheese and mix through until it’s melted.
2. Add the bbq sauce and mix to combine. Turn off the stove.
3. Take out the crescent rolls and preheat the oven per the instructions on the carton.
4. Take a small dollop of chicken mixture and spoon it onto the widest part of the crescent roll.
5. Roll the crescent dough over once, then put a smaller amount onto the next little triangle section of dough.
6. Roll around to complete your little crescent! Repeat for all of the dough, and don’t worry if some come out a little wonky looking – that’s okay!
8. Bake on a greased baking sheet until the dough is golden brown on top, then serve the buns topped with hot sauce and extra bbq sauce.
These are wholesome guilty pleasures. The dough is basically a carb and preservative bomb, but the chicken is lean, the cheese is filled with protein, and you can always eat salad on the side. These are creamy, spicy, and tangy. They are best when served piping hot, but someone I know eats them cold out of the fridge for midnight snacks. These would be awesome for a big party, since they can be served room temperature and are hand held.
It’s the closest that we ever came to being a tv family.